Raise Your Spoons for National Cereal Day
Survey Reveals Wacky Ways Canadians Love Their Cereal
Mar 6, 2018
MISSISSAUGA, ON (March 6, 2018) – Raise your spoons to salute a Canadian favourite! Wednesday, March 7, 2018 is National Cereal Day and a recent survey by Kellogg Canada Inc. reveals that we are a nation of cereal lovers who aren’t afraid to experiment. Nine-out-of-10 Canadians eat cereal, with over half of us enjoying it one-to-three times per week. And our love extends beyond the breakfast table with 35 percent of Canadians having cereal as a late-night snack, and 21 percent enjoying it any time of day.
A deep dive into our cereal bowls reveals:
- A whopping 95 percent of us pour the cereal into the bowl first.
- 70 percent of Canadians eat their cereal quickly to keep it crisp, while 30 percent prefer it soggy.
- Millennials are the biggest fans of the crunch (78 percent) versus Boomers (59 percent).
- Canadians like to mix it up with 19 percent of us creating our own custom blend of mix ‘n match cereal favourites.
- Canadian cereal choices are driven by taste above everything else at 75 percent. Nutrition follows at 60 percent, and value at 42 percent.
“Canadians are Cereal Adventurers who embrace the unconventional. Not only do we experiment with flavours, our survey shows that cereal is also popular throughout the day, from breakfast to a late-night snack and any time in between,” says Lores Tomé, Director, Communications and Corporate Affairs, Kellogg Canada Inc. “We are proud that Kellogg’s offers a variety of cereals that meet the different needs of our consumers including taste, nutrition and value.”
Pour it On!
While 91 percent of Canadians choose classic, cold milk on our cereal, many of us like to let our creativity pour:
- Almost one quarter reach for milk alternatives like almond and soy – this jumps to 34 percent of Millennials;
- 22 percent stir it up with yogurt;
- 17 percent prefer cereal with hot milk; and
- 11 percent sweeten the bowl with flavoured milk like chocolate and strawberry. This rises to 17 percent of Millennials.
Why limit your cereal to dairy? Less than 5 percent of Canadians have tried fruit juice, water, coffee, or keep it festive with eggnog.
Top it Off!
Canadians are not afraid to experiment with surreal cereal toppings. While fresh fruit is the spoons-down favourite at 46 percent, some of us dare to be different:
- 12 percent drizzle on maple syrup, with men choosing the sweet stuff more than women;
- 5 percent scoop on ice cream;
- 3 percent add protein powder or peanut butter; and
- 1 percent have tried bacon, hot sauce, ketchup or soya sauce!
Cereal Cravings All Over the Canadian Map
While our nation is united in its love of cereal, we have some “bowled” regional preferences:
- Atlantic Canadians are most likely to custom-mix their cereals at 29 percent;
- Quebecers lead the nation in adding maple syrup at 19 percent;
- Ontarians are the most likely to enjoy cereal as an afternoon snack;
- Manitoba is the epi-cereal-centre of the nation with 33 percent enjoying a bowl three times a week or more;
- Those in Saskatchewan are most interested in texture at 32 percent;
- Albertans are most likely to try eggnog-soaked cereal at 7 percent; and
- Over a quarter of British Columbians top their cereal with earthy nuts and seeds
This March 7, grab life by the cereal spoon and go bold with your bowl! Share your adventurous cereal creations in social with the hashtag on #NationalCerealDay.
ABOUT KELLOGG CANADA INC.
Driven to enrich and delight the world through foods and brands that matter, Kellogg Canada is the leading producer of ready-to-eat cereal in Canada. Every day, our beloved brands nourish families so they can flourish and thrive. These include All-Bran*, Kellogg’s Corn Flakes*, Corn Pops*, Eggo*, Froot Loops*, Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes*, Kashi*, Kellogg's Two Scoops Raisin Bran*, Mini-Wheats*, Nutri-Grain*, Pop-Tarts*, Pringles*, Rice Krispies*, Special K* and Vector*. And we’re a company with a heart and soul, committing to help create 3 billion Better Days by 2025 through our Breakfasts for Better Days global purpose platform. To learn more about our responsible business leadership, foods that delight and how we strive to make a difference in our communities around the world, visit www.kelloggcompany.com. To learn more about Kellogg Canada’s efforts in these areas, please visit www.kelloggs.ca.
© 2018, Trademark of Kellogg Company used under licence by Kellogg Canada Inc.
† ABOUT THE CEREAL SURVEY From February 21st to February 22nd 2018 an online survey was conducted among 1,353 randomly selected cereal-eating Canadian adults who are Angus Reid Forum panelists. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding.