TORONTO, December 8, 2011 – Every year, the list of to‐dos for moms seems to get longer during the holiday season. There’s no doubt it’s a busy time of year with 66 per cent of moms reporting in a recent Kellogg’s Rice Krispies survey that planning can be stressful. But despite all the extra work, almost three quarters (67 per cent) of moms believe family still comes first and intend to make the holidays extra special by spending more time with their children.
Trish Magwood, award‐winning cookbook author of In My Mother’s Kitchen and mom of three, understands the struggle that every parent faces during the holiday season. From picking up last minute gifts, scheduling holiday activities and hosting impromptu gatherings, Trish has developed easy solutions to manage all that the season may bring.
“As a mom I know that we all cherish the holidays because it allows us to be together with our families and friends,” says Magwood. “But between cooking, cleaning, shopping and decorating, it seems that time is not always on our side! The key is planning ahead and making use of resources that can help in a pinch.”
The following are a few tried and true tips from Magwood in partnership with Kellogg’s Rice Krispies to help with holiday preparations:
- Décor –keep it simple and seasonal. Draw from your pantry and seasonal favourites to keep your home looking festive and classic. A glass bowl of mandarins, a vase of pomegranates, a trifle bowl of pinecones and green cuttings and your house will scream holiday in seconds flat.
- A match made in heaven. Keep a running grocery list and create columns based on your grocery store’s layout, grouping like items together (produce, bread, canned goods, dairy, freezer). This organization will speed up your shopping trip and ensures no doubling back up aisle 5.
- Double Duty. Holiday baking is the most rewarding, cost efficient and organized way to say thanks to teachers, neighbours, party hosts and family. Pick a few easy make‐ahead sweets like Rice Krispies Lacy Oat cookies and Cheese Krispies with the festive red and green Holiday Rice Krispies cereal available at local grocery stores now for a limited time. Double or triple the recipes and bake up a storm with easy favourites that say ‘thanks.’
- Recipe Resource. Cooking and baking is near the top of the holiday to‐do list for many moms and is a well‐honoured tradition that can be time‐consuming. Get the kids involved and make the undertaking that much more enjoyable as you spend time in the kitchen together. With quick and simple holiday recipes from Ricekrispies.ca it’s easy to prepare your holiday menu from start to finish, with appetizers like Tangy Holiday Meatballs, mains like Parmesan Chicken
and desserts that can be enjoyed with friends and family such as the Krispie Baked Pears with Chocolate Sauce.
About the Survey
The Kellogg’s Rice Krispies survey was conducted between October 11 and October 13, 2011 using Leger Marketing’s online panel, LegerWeb, with a sample of 265 Canadian moms, 18 years or older.
About Kellogg Canada
Founded in 1914, Kellogg Canada is the leading manufacturer of ready‐to‐eat cereal in Canada. The company's brands include Special K*, Vector*, All‐Bran*, Kellogg's Corn Flakes*, Kellogg's* Two Scoops* Raisin Bran, Eggo*, Nutri‐Grain*, Rice Krispies*, Pop‐Tarts*, Kellogg's Frosted Flakes*, and Froot Loops*. In addition to providing nutritious, high‐quality foods, Kellogg Canada is committed to educating consumers and health professionals about nutrition and healthy, active living through responsible packaging, brochures, advertising and scientific symposia. For more information, visit the Kellogg
Canada website at www.kelloggs.ca.
* © 2011, Trademark of Kellogg Company used under licence by Kellogg Canada Inc.